• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • Google+
Posted by Mama Max - - 0 comments



I have been on a diet for the last couple of months in an attempt to shift some of the weight I've gained since my overactive thyroid function was 'fixed'.  Whilst Graves' Disease is no laughing matter, it did have the rather delicious side-effect of allowing me to get away with massively overeating without gaining a pound!  If it weren't for all the other nasty side effects it would have been brilliant!  I am now thankfully in remission and have normal thyroid levels which is fantastic... the only problem is that my body is still used to consuming far more calories than I actually need, so I have seen the weight pile on.  However, I decided a couple of months ago that something needed doing so I began a diet... I've lost about 12 of the 20lbs I am aiming to shift, and it's been a bit of a slog if I'm honest.  Nothing dramatic, fancy, potentially dangerous (or expensive)... I've simply reduced my calorie intake to about 1350 a day, eating more nutrient dense food (no empty calories for me) and increased the amount of exercise I am doing.  Booooorrrring.  But there really isn't any quick or easy fix.


But maintaining such a saintly routine is hard work... I'm a strong adherent to the old adage "everything in moderation, including moderation!", because let's face it, there are times when a healthy apple just ain't gonna cut it!  So, I was really pleased when a recent culinary experiment turned out so well!  It made a healthy, nutrient-dense, low calorie treat that was also flippin' delicious!!!!  Whodathunkit!!?


The key to this dessert/treat is having over-ripe bananas.  This makes it doubly brilliant as my kids won't eat brown bananas and I hate to throw them out!  I've blogged before about how brilliant bananas are so you might've guessed I'm a fan!  Oh, and another bonus for those with dairy intolerances (or high cholesterol)... this is a vegan recipe and so is completely dairy free!!!


BANANA CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM (serves 4)

You will need...

  • 3 medium sized bananas, very ripe
  • 1.5 tablespoons of honey (you can use more or less to suit your taste)
  • 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • A food processor

Firstly, peel and slice your bananas and spread out on a lined cookie sheet.  Pop the sheet in the freezer overnight so that the banana slices have a chance to get solid.







Put the frozen banana slices in the food processor and set it running.  At first, it will look very lumpy and grainy, but persevere until you end up with a smooth soft ice-cream-like consistency.  Add the honey and cocoa powder and process some more until completely incorporated.  Taste and adjust flavours as necessary.





Pour the soft banana mush into a freezer-proof container, label and return to the freezer to re-harden.






After a few hours (or overnight), the consistency will turn into an ice-cream-like consistency and you can use an ice cream scoop to serve.  Perfect on it's own, or in a wafer cone with some chopped nuts & chocolate sprinkles for a special treat!





This makes enough for 4 servings, but you can scale the recipe up or down depending on the number of bananas you have!


And here's the nutrition information in case you are counting calories like me!!




Leave a Reply

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! I am always very touched when people take the time to comment too... it gives me a real boost!

Do check back soon as I make an effort to reply to all comments here!

Thanks again!
Mama Max
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...