• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • Google+
Posted by Maxine Cleminson - - 0 comments




We are going to a friends' Halloween party this afternoon and as it's a potluck I had to come up with a spooky dessert idea to feed lots of people. I'd also recently bought a lovely glass trifle bowl that has been crying out to be used. So, I decided to adapt a cupcake theme I'd seen in Clare Crespo's book, "Hey There, Cupcake!".

The resultant masterpiece is a spook-tacular Buried Alive Trifle!


You will need... 
  • Your favorite trifle (homemade or even shop bought would do!).
  • Chocolate biscuits (Oreos for the US lot, maybe Bourbons for those in the UK)
  • Green cake sprinkles (optional)
  • Gummy worms (optional)
  • A sacrificial doll (or doll arms from a craft shop... apparently you can buy body parts by the bag load)
  • Craft foam in beige or grey
  • Clear or black straws (or wooden skewers)
  • Black & grey marker pens
  • Scissors.
Firstly, you will need to either make or buy a trifle.  I made mine with the following layers: strawberry jell-o with strawberries, blueberries and graham crackers; then homemade custard with bananas and strawberries; then a layer of sticky caramel (dulce de leche); and finally, a layer of whipped heavy (double) cream.




To create a graveyard scene on the top, simply crush up some Oreo biscuits in a plastic freezer bag, using a rolling pin.  Sprinkle the crushed biscuits on top to look like dirt.  You can add gruesome additions such as gummy worms for an extra ick factor.  I also used green cake sprinkles to hint at grass around the edges of the dish.










Then you need to create your buried alive victim.  I bought a $3 doll from our supermarket and sacrificed her arms for the greater good!  However, I believe it is possible to buy just the body parts you require from craft suppliers.  I carefully washed and dried her arms before inserting into the top of trifle.

Finally, you will need to create a tombstone.  I used beige craft foam which I cut into an arched shape and colored using grey and black permanent markers.  Add the name and dates of your victim, and the obviously unheeded R.I.P.  To fix into your trifle you can use drinking straws.  I made an inch long slit in the bottom of straws and slid them onto the tombstone.  Once the top of the straw is trimmed you can then push the straws into the top of the trifle to keep the tombstone upright.  If you don't have clear or black drinking straws you could try using skewers.







I also created a label for the front of my dish using the same craft foam and pens.  I copied a spooky Halloween font to give an extra spooky factor!




Enjoy!  And happy Halloween to everyone!

Leave a Reply

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! I am always very touched when people take the time to comment too... it gives me a real boost!

Do check back soon as I make an effort to reply to all comments here!

Thanks again!
Mama Max
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...